Prompted
Copied verbatim from biology, seventh edition, by Neil A. Campell and Jane B. Reece.
(Campell, Neil A. Biology. 7th ed. San Francisco: Pearson Education, Inc, 2005)
Compare and contrast the nutritional mode of a fungus with your own nutritional mode.
Example:
There is something of death in hunger, if only because life is so contingent upon eating. At least for me, being as doggedly heterotrophic as I am, I can't stop going around ingesting other organic molecules. Even in a body with an opening at either end; even knowing that mostly everything is bound to go in one and out the other. I am a fungus with feet and an ax; bloodier and more preemptive in exploiting death. I kill and I pluck and I boil and I chew and I swallow, pushing the meat down to my stomach to release my digestive juices on it there, where no one can see. Perhaps I am the evolutionary equivalent of closing your mouth when you chew. But there is something silly here, something odd that estranges me from the fungus, which is wiser, more nonchalant, about eating, an old pro. I am angry with every step, every action, I eat with anger, and I don't eat with even more anger. Because, really, there is no other way to contest this, to make a noise louder than everything, than by not making noise at all. Not eating at all. It could be like a hunger strike against eating, because it is just that pointless. I will not eat, and I will grow thinner, and then I will die, and they will make picket signs out of my bones and my stretched-thin skin. They will march in a circle like a little fairy ring of mushrooms, except more somber, no dancing, no lightheartedness, but making a statement.
Labels: Daily Writing Prompt

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home