i'mpulse

i'mpulse started as a class project at ucsd and became a small group of writers collaborating/sharing. i'mpulse is about creating a writing community and cultivating a habit of writing. it is about making the practice of writing spontaneous and i'mpulsive and inescapable.

13 May 2007

Kisses

He kissed me and I felt dirty. We were sitting in the grass, that place where there's a clearing, but there are still enough trees so the light from above gets mostly blocked out, just filters through kind of dappled. It's kind of a private place, you know, and so I felt kind of guilty. I know he took me there just so that the Father couldn't see us, I realize that now. We sat on the grass, and it was soft and damp against my skin. And then he kissed me, and I started to feel kind of ashamed that I was sitting there letting the grass touch the skin of my naked bottom, my pink naked self. I felt the Father peering down at me through the trees.

"I love you, Eve," Adam said to me.
I didn't believe him. That night as he slept snoring next to me, I had a dream. I had a dream, and as I was dreaming it, I could feel myself pulling away from the Father, abandoning the Father. I woke and I felt very, very alone.
In my dream there was a vast ocean. An ocean, I realized, is a great expanse of water, an endless body of water, great heaving masses of water, giant waves lifting themselves up and throwing themselves back down with a crash. I felt a rumbling in my body as I dreamed this. And then I went inside the ocean, underneath the surface, and I was looking up at the sky through the water, at the sun through the water, a pale green light. It felt like a very private place. A safe place, an intimate place. And then in the quietness of this place, suspended by this vast ocean and warmed by the light filtering through from above, I became a droplet, a membrane. I was a protobiont. My skin, my membrane, surrounded me like a warm hug, protecting me. I felt loved. I felt happy. I felt ready. I was floating there, feeling warm and protected and loved, when a delicate thread of RNA approached me, and caressed my surface. A gentle and inviting caress. And then I felt my membrane folding inward, allowing, letting, surrendering to the kiss. I loved. I pulled inward, and then I enveloped the RNA in the soft warm hug, cradling it there. This, I thought. This kiss, this is a real kiss. This is for no one else but my lover and I, the both of us floating protected there, in that sacred vast ocean.
A first kiss, an only kiss.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Blogger InkSpot said...

I love this, Stacy. Really

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home