Sickness Is Like This (or Sicknesses Like This) -- More Installments
Looking in a mirror is having a holy vision like some ancient biblical prophet did. What great winged beasts with four pairs of eyes, what noble men on brightly colored horses! It is a dual shock of absurdity and majesty, an astonishing impasse between what you see with your eyes and everything else you've known up to that point, in all the ways a thing can be known. It is not knowing how to KNOW in image -- which can only be a thing separate from yourself -- that is nonetheless so very YOU that it has traveled the full length of the circle back around to not-you. A spinning wheel-in-the-sky of self. Looking in the mirror and thinking I have brown eyes is as absurd -- and as necessary -- as believing in seraphim.
Everytime I look in the mirror I am searching for lines, thinking, Almighty God—or for chrissakes—how could such a young face belong to such a decrepit body?
Sartre called existence “weighty”. What he really meant was existence is a leaning, or a bending,or a falling. I think he was rediscovering gravity, he just couldn’t get around to actually picking up an apple.
Purity is weightlessness and sin is anything that goes SPLAT!
"Falling" is sinning, but in the water we are all much more buoyant. So the original sin, the "fall" of man, was not eating an apple, but creeping upright out of the ocean, learning to live on land, in cities.
Build buildings tall enough and even an apple goes SPLAT!
If I were a fish I wouldn't have any health problems. Then again, if I were a fish, I wouldn't KNOW I was a fish, and so I wouldn't realize I wasn't suffering, or even that I was, if I were. This is why some vegetarians eat fish, because fish can't feel pain, and so you can't choke on soul, or sole.
Can a fish be demon possessed? How far does it reach, the hand of Satan, creeping up through the soles of my feet, to my knees, hips, hands, shoulders, jaw -- but after that, just how far? Is it his dark fingers that are squeezing my soul out through my eye sockets? And if so, who is going to pry them loose? The neurologist?
Honestly, Satan can have my soul if he gives me back my body. And if God had given me a choice at the beginning, human or fish?, I would have chosen fish. Even something really ugly, like a grouper.
Everytime I look in the mirror I am searching for lines, thinking, Almighty God—or for chrissakes—how could such a young face belong to such a decrepit body?
Sartre called existence “weighty”. What he really meant was existence is a leaning, or a bending,or a falling. I think he was rediscovering gravity, he just couldn’t get around to actually picking up an apple.
Purity is weightlessness and sin is anything that goes SPLAT!
"Falling" is sinning, but in the water we are all much more buoyant. So the original sin, the "fall" of man, was not eating an apple, but creeping upright out of the ocean, learning to live on land, in cities.
Build buildings tall enough and even an apple goes SPLAT!
If I were a fish I wouldn't have any health problems. Then again, if I were a fish, I wouldn't KNOW I was a fish, and so I wouldn't realize I wasn't suffering, or even that I was, if I were. This is why some vegetarians eat fish, because fish can't feel pain, and so you can't choke on soul, or sole.
Can a fish be demon possessed? How far does it reach, the hand of Satan, creeping up through the soles of my feet, to my knees, hips, hands, shoulders, jaw -- but after that, just how far? Is it his dark fingers that are squeezing my soul out through my eye sockets? And if so, who is going to pry them loose? The neurologist?
Honestly, Satan can have my soul if he gives me back my body. And if God had given me a choice at the beginning, human or fish?, I would have chosen fish. Even something really ugly, like a grouper.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home